Auto Insurance FAQ
Every person and family has different insurance needs. A good rule of thumb is to purchase as much liability protection as you can afford.
Other things to think about:
- Does your bank require certain levels of coverage?
- Do you have a large vehicle that could cause more damage?
- How much can you afford to pay before insurance “kicks in” in the event of a claim?
You can receive temporary auto insurance ID cards when your policy is bound. Permanent ID cards are generally mailed from the insurance company 1-3 weeks after the policy has been bound.
Most insurance payments are due at one month intervals starting from the date that your policy was started.
Many factors are used to determine your insurance premium. Below are some factors that you can control to help reduce your prices:
- Keep your driving record clean (tickets can increase your rates).
- Keep your claims record clean (both small and large claims can increase your rates).
- Insure more than one vehicle with the same company.
- Keep your Home and Auto insurance with the same company.
- Choose higher deductible amounts.
- Maintain increased liability limits.
- Keep your annual vehicle mileage to a minimum.
- Any students should maintain a “good student status”.
- Purchase an alarm for your vehicle.
- Move out of the way of traffic and turn on your hazard warning lights
- Call the police even if it is a minor accident
- Request medical assistance if there are any injuries
- Exchange necessary information with the other driver, including: Name, Address, Phone Numbers, Vehicle Information, and Insurance Information
- Take pictures of the vehicles involved and of the general location of the accident
- Call the claims number located on your ID card immediately
Simply call your agent during normal business hours. Our agents can quickly add drivers or vehicles to most insurance policies right over the phone.
Many of our insurance carriers provide service directly to their clients. If you have your policy nearby, you will find their toll-free 800 service number as well as their website.
You can cancel your existing policy when you have received confirmation that a replacement policy has been bound (is in-force).
This varies from company to company. Most insurance companies will allow you to move your EFT date to an earlier date, but will not allow you to extend it to a later date. Be sure to call your company or agent for your particular policy.
Most insurance policies automatically renew for a similar term at the end of a preceding term (6 month policies renew for 6 more months, 12 month policies renew for 12 more months). Policy was issued.
Most insurance companies offer a discount for choosing the electronic withdrawal method, due to the reduced cost of processing paperwork.
Many clients have found they will save money by not purchasing the windshield replacement coverage. If windshield replacement is an important protection to you, please be sure to ask your agent for a company that offers it.
For home and auto insurance, insurance companies do not generally pull credit reports while quoting or issuing insurance.
Med-pay coverage is always a good idea to add to your auto insurance. This coverage will help pay the medical bills for you or your passengers in the event you are in an at-fault accident. In some states, this is a required coverage.
Many of our companies offer additional benefits to their policies. Including but not limited to: Supplemental Death Benefits, ID Theft Protection, and Disappearing Deductibles.
This is a reward to good drivers. Over time, as you are accident-free and remain with the same insurance company, your deductible will diminish by a certain amount (usually $100/year).
Nearly all of our companies provide a lifetime guarantee on parts and workmanship on repairs from a covered claim.
Many of our insurance companies have partnered with certain repair facilities. They have been chosen because they meet or exceed certain quality standards that are important to ensure your satisfaction. Please ask your agent or your adjuster for a recommended facility.
Unfortunately, these days anyone can be sued. And multimillion dollar judgments have become all too common. Even if a court decides in your favour you may still have to pay legal fees and court costs.
AAI provides you with multiple methods to manage your insurance. Nearly all of our insurance companies provide extended service hours to make policy changes. Please look for the service number on your ID card or in your policy. Also, many of our companies provide a website where you can access your policy and make minor policy changes. Finally, all of our agencies are generally available to help with your policy during normal business hours Monday through Friday.
Collision coverage pays for damage to your car if you are in an accident.
Comprehensive coverage (comp coverage) pays for damage to your car from a fire, theft, vandalism, or many other events.
Liability insurance protects you and your family against claims for bodily injury or property damage caused by an auto accident in which you or your covered family members are considered legally responsible.
Med Pay coverage pays for medical services that you or your passengers need if you’re involved in an accident in your car or as a pedestrian.
UM or UIM pays for damages caused by uninsured motorists or in hit-and-run accidents.
Rental reimbursement will help pay for your rental car if your car is in an accident.
In most states, brokers are not allowed to charge any additional fees.